Amanda Haworth Perseverance Scholarship
Deadline May 5, 2023 | Amount $2,000.00
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan, ‘press on’ has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race.
The Amanda Haworth Perseverance Scholarship was created in 2012 in memory of Miami-Dade Police Department Detective Amanda Haworth, who was killed in the line-of-duty while serving a warrant on January 20, 2011, along with her partner Detective Roger Castillo.
The Amanda Haworth Perseverance Scholarship was established to recognize a graduating FEMALE Senior (MALE applicants can apply under the Roger Castillo Perseverance Scholarship) who embodies characteristics such as integrity, strength of character, and adheres to a set of moral and ethical principles. The scholarship recipient should exemplify the values upheld by Detective Haworth, and set an example for her friends, family, and fellow community members. Detective Haworth’s children will serve on the committee to select the individual who possesses the same values of their mother.
One scholarship in the amount of $2000.00 will be awarded.
You May Be Eligible
- Be a Miami-Dade, Broward, or Monroe County high school senior or graduate and
- Be the son of a sworn officer working for any law enforcement agency within the geographical boundaries of Miami-Dade County and
- Maintain a 2.0 minimum grade point average
Please submit the following items:
- Complete ALL information on the Amanda Haworth Perseverance Scholarship Application
- Attach a current certified transcript of grades
High School Seniors also include the following:
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a teacher who is familiar with your work
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor
- Prior to receiving the scholarship funds, you must provide us with a confirmation of enrollment letter from the college, university, or vocational school you are attending.
Amanda Haworth Perseverance Scholarship Application
Police Officer Assistance Trust
Attn: Scholarship Committee
1030 N.W. 111 Avenue, Suite 232
Miami, Florida 33172
Applications and supporting documentation must be postmarked on or before May 5, 2023
How you can help
Your donations are always welcome
The individuals, businesses, and organizations whose contributions have made POAT’s progress possible are greatly appreciated.