Deadline May 1, 2020 | Amount $2,000.00
The Charles “Chuck” Duncan Determination Scholarship was created in 2019 in the spirt of retired Miami-Dade Police Sergeant Chuck Duncan, who persevered through the loss of his father when he was a teenager and was determined to have a rewarding and successful law enforcement career. He entered the police academy at age 19 in 1979 with the Homestead Police Department where he spent two years before being hired by Miami-Dade Police Department. His assignments consisted of Uniform Patrol, K-9, SRT, Auto Theft Task Force, Hostage Negotiator and Police Officer Assistance Trust.
Sergeant Chuck Duncan honorably retired in 2018 after 39 years of service.
“The difference between eventual success and failure can be a true sense of
determination” Chuck Duncan
One scholarship in the amount of $2000.00 will be awarded.
- Be a Miami-Dade, Broward, or Monroe County high school senior or graduate and
- Be the son or daughter of a sworn officer working for any law enforcement agency within the geographical boundaries of Miami-Dade County and
- Maintain a 2.0 minimum grade point average
Instructions for Applicant:
- Complete ALL information on the Charles “Chuck” Duncan Perseverance Scholarship Application
- Attach a current certified transcript of grades
High School Seniors – Please include the following:
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a teacher who is familiar with your work
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor
- Prior to receiving the scholarship funds, you must provide us with a confirmation of enrollment letter from the college, university, or vocational school you are attending.
Applications and supporting documentation must be postmarked on or before May 1, 2020.
Police Officer Assistance Trust
Attn: Scholarship Committee
1030 N.W. 111 Avenue, Suite 232
Miami, Florida 33172