Deadline May 1, 2020 | Amount $2,000.00
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan, ‘press on’ has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race.
~ Calvin Coolidge
The Roger Castillo Perseverance Scholarship was created in 2012 in memory of Miami-Dade Police Department Detective Roger Castillo, who was killed in the line-of-duty while serving a warrant on January 20, 2011, along with his partner Detective Amanda Haworth.
The Roger Castillo Perseverance Scholarship was established to recognize a graduating MALE Senior (FEMALE applicants can apply under Amanda Haworth Perseverance Scholarship) who embodies characteristics such as integrity, strength of character, and adheres to a set of moral and ethical principles. The scholarship recipient should exemplify the values upheld by Detective Castillo and set an example for his friends, family, and fellow community members. Detective Castillo’s children will serve on the committee to select the individual who possesses the same values of their father.
One scholarship in the amount of $2000.00 will be awarded.
- Be a Miami-Dade, Broward, or Monroe County high school senior or graduate and
- Be the son of a sworn officer working for any law enforcement agency within the geographical boundaries of Miami-Dade County and
- Maintain a 2.0 minimum grade point average
Instructions for Applicant:
- Complete ALL information on the Roger Castillo Perseverance Scholarship Application
- Attach a current certified transcript of grades
High School Seniors – Please include the following:
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a teacher who is familiar with your work
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor
- Prior to receiving the scholarship funds, you must provide us with a confirmation of enrollment letter from the college, university, or vocational school you are attending.
Applications and supporting documentation must be postmarked on or before May 1, 2020.
Police Officer Assistance Trust
Attn: Scholarship Committee
1030 N.W. 111 Avenue, Suite 232
Miami, Florida 33172